Reading/blogging used to be in my list of top priorities now my priorities are succeeding in my classes, taking advatage of all the opportunities college gives you and taking care of myself. All of these things go hand and hand and take up most of my time. Reading is now something that not only do I not have much time for it’s also something I haven’t been wanting to do. Usually when I’m not reading anything I will complain about being in a reading slump this time that isn’t the case. The thing is I’m busy, other things are interfering with my usual reading time and I am surprisingly okay with that. I thought reading would be something I would strive to make time for in college and I could make more time for it if I wanted to, but I don’t. Here’s why.
- All it takes to be “a reader” is to like books. That’s it that’s the one requirement. I don’t care if you’ve only read a magazine this year if you love books then you are a book lover and a reader it is that simple.
- School is the priority. College is way, way, more important than reading and more important then this blog. I’m not going to be doing much reading or blogging and that is okay because I’m busy doing something that matters more. Being a student comes before everything else always, except for my mental health and general well being that is what comes first but I think you get what I mean.
- I just don’t want to read. When I have free time reading isn’t usually what I want to do with it. Sometimes reading isn’t what I want to do and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m starting to not read things for the sake of reading, what I mean is I used to want to always be reading something. It felt more like a nead then a want and I would read whatever was available to me. I added anything that looked even remotely interesting to my tbr. That need to read isn’t there right now. I’m going to make sure any book I spend my limited amount of time reading is one I’m excited for.
- Assigned readings: I have a lot of reading I have to do for my classes, reading something for pleasure is different then assigned reading, but I don’t want to read anything else after reading a hundred pages from a dull biography. That is a big reason why when I take breaks or finish my homework for the day Netflix sounds more fun than doing more reading. I am going to try and devote a little more of my time to blogging though, because I need to spend more time on creative outlets.
- I’m 133% complete with my goodreads challenge: my goal was thirty and I have read forty books. Forty books is a lot of books so it is okay if I don’t read anything else for the rest of the year because I have already read more books than I expected to. I have read a lot of good books it’s okay if I don’t read anything else for the rest of the year I’m busy I get a pass for that.
I think my new reading goal for every year will be to read one book that I love that I have not read before. I want to fall in love with a new story at least once a year if I can do that then I can be satisfied.