March is Women’s History Month I will be celebrating by reading books by and about wonderful women and girls. Most of the books on here are nonfiction which is not a genre I usually gravitate towards but I’m reading a lot of different things lately and I want to learn about women’s history this month. I don’t just want to read about girls in fantasy worlds, I want to make more of an effort to celebrate the lives of real women who have and or are making a difference in the world.
- A Diary of a Young Girl: I feel like I should have read this years ago there are so many books people read during high school that I didn’t, and now I feel like I’m going to be spending my twenties playing catch up.
- Amina’s Voice: I don’t know too much about this, but I’ve only heard positive things. I’ve seen it on multiple recommendation lists and it seems like a good fit for Women’s History Month.
- The Sun and Her Flowers: I want and need to read more poetry and Rupi Kaur is probably the biggest poet out there right now so reading her second collection seems like a must.
- A Short History of Women: I wanted something to read that would teach me something that I didn’t but should have learned in history class, and this seems like a good fit.
- Hidden Figures: The movie adaptation was everything, and I want to know more. I’m sure there are details that weren’t in the movie or things that got changed and I’m looking forward to finding them
- Bloodwitch: This isn’t exactly on here for the same reason as the others I just really want to read it. But there are a lot of badass women in this series and it’s written by a badass woman so it does still tie into the theme of this months tbr. Honestly though when am I ever not reading books by and about badass ladies? Unless there assigned reading.
I’m being very ambitious considering I read two whole books in February, but I have a plan, and I think I can read at least four of these. I’m going to make reading more of a priority even if that means spending less time on other things I also enjoy doing, like watching tv or youtube. None of the books on my list are very long, and I’m feeling excited to read each of them. I’m not often motivated to read for pleasure anymore so let’s hope this feeling lasts. Spring break is in March so I’ll have a whole week off of school, and (hopefully) not much to do during that time besides reading. I think I’m going to dedicate one whole day during spring break to reading, it’s been so long since I’ve done that.