As I write this my Goodreads TBR is 182 it might still seem large to some but this is the lowest it’s been in a long time, in years. I have been going through my TBR a lot recently and I think I’m finally done narrowing it down. I got less and less picky each time I went through it today when I started it was around 230. I decided that there was no way I was going to read all of 230 of those books. Many of them have been on there for years it was definitely time to acknowledg that I’m never going to read them. I thought it would be fun to go through what made me decide to keep or get rid of a book, and share some of the notable books I kept and removed.
What I kept
- Fairytales and retellings: My love of fairytales is the one constant in my reading tastes I will never grow tired of them. If someone says a book reads like a fairytale or is inspired by them then I immediately add it to my TBR. Examples: The Shadow Queen, Tiger Lily, The Forbidden Wish.
- Historical fiction: I have really been in the mood for Historical fiction so therefore all the ones on my TBR are staying put. They all sound appealing so I will definitely be reading some soon. Examples: Under a Painted Sky, Among the Red Stars, Code Name Verity.
- Must read books: I kept most anything that is widely considered to be something everyone should read. Or that is loved by the entire blogging community like A Darker Shade of Magic. Other examples: The Book Thief, Wonder.
What I got rid of
- SciFi: I don’t like Sci-fi books I want to like them but I can’t seem to get into the genre. I think the only kept about three that looked to good to remove, hopefully one of them will be the one sci-fi book I actually like. Examples: Red Rising, Ender’s Game, Zenith.
- Books I couldn’t remember: If it had been on my TBR for a while and I couldn’t remember what it was even about then I removed it. I clearly was not going to read it anytime soon. No examples because I didn’t keep up with what I got rid of and can’t remember exactly.
- Books I had already tried: There was a few books I had read a few chapters of but never got back to. There’s some I kept because I genuinely want to read but just wasn’t in the mood at the time. The ones I got rid of are mostly hyped books that I don’t think I’m going to pick up again. Examples Walk the Earth A Stranger, Tower of Dawn, Perks of Being a Wallflower.
There are obviously other reasons for keeping or removing a book from a TBR but those are some of the main things. Mostly though I just took off books that no longer interest me and I’m sure a lot of you are going to disagree with my choices, but I think I choose well. There’s simply not enough time to read every book I have to be choosy and not wast time reading bad or okay books. I only have time to read books I love of course there’s no way to know for sure if you like it until you read it and this is why bookworm are forever agonizing over our TBR’s.