A few days ago I logged on to Instagram to find everyone talking about a new app called Listy, Listy is a social media for booknerds its sorta like a mash up of Twitter, Instagram and Goodreads. A ton of bookstagramers are switching to it I made an account but I’m not yet sure if I’m going to be active on it. When I downloaded it I was hoping it would take the place of Instagram since I don’t need another social media and Instagram has been frustrating me, but while Listey might have some cool features it comes with many annoyances. I was have seen a few bloggers do reviews of Listy and I have a lot of thoughts on it I figured I’d do one too. If you want to go into this with a better understanding of Listy then click here to read more about it or download the app.
What I like about Listy
- No algorithm: Instagram has a annoying algorithm that often shows you posts from days ago and causes you to mis3s a lot of posts from your favorite accounts. Listy has a chronological algorithm this is the reason many bookstagramers re switching to it.
- You can put links in your captions: This is a small thing but it makes it way easier to promote blog posts no more saying the link is in my bio.
- It’s exclusively bookish: I like that everyone on there is booknerd and this means no more random things popping up while I’m browsing bookish tags. I also feel like I’ll have a lot less people follow then imeadietly unfollow since most off the accounts that do that are not bookish ones.
- Easier to see comments: You have a serrate notification menu for comments on Instagram I often don’t see comments because they get lost in all my other notifications having a separate screen for them is another small thing that makes things easier.
What I don’t like
- The overall look: I don’t at all like the look of Listy I much prefer Instagram’s clean and simple design, I’m hoping they’l change the look to something better soon. It is fairly new so hopefully they will change the things I don’t like and improve it.
- It’s not as good as Goodreads: I think it’s intended to be a more social goodreads but it’s not as good, you can’t add multiple shelves you just have the three standard ones, you can’t mark what dates you read a book and it gives you less information about the book. It doesn’t tell you the publisher or let you easily view all the editions of a book, overall it’s harder to use restrictive and not as good as Goodreads
- Your posts can only be 451 characters long: How can you write a review that’s only 451 characters? I don’t post long reviews but I have Instagram captions that are longer then 451 characters. I can deal with having to write short posts but I would defiantly prefer to be able to have longer c captions.
- There’s no messaging system. The comment system is better then Instagram but you loose direct messaging, and the stories which is a feature I’ve grown to love. I also don’t see how anything can truly be a social media without a messaging system.
I really don’t know if I’m going to use Listy much I have the same amount of pros and cons I think I’m going to wait and see if it improves and then depending on what changes I might swich ovover completely from Instagram. For now I’ll keep posting on Instagram and LiListy but if Listy doesn’t improve in a few months them I’m going to delete it.
What do you think off Listy? Do you have a Listy account, if not are you planning on making one?